Frequently Asked .DLL Questions
Everyone has questions about .DLL files which is why we put together these Frequently Asked .DLL Questions.
1. What/where are the Windows System folders?.
- These are the primary locations where .dll files can be installed.
- C:\Windows\System32\ folder. (For 32 bit)
- C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ folder. (For 64 bit)
2. I don’t know if my application is 32 bit or 64 bit. Where do I install the .dll?
- You can install the .dll file in both system folders without any problems.
3. The .DLL file already exists in my system folder. What do I do?
- First try placing the .DLL file in the same folder where the programs .exe file is located. If this does not resolve the issue, create a backup of the .DLL file in the system folder and install a new copy.
4. Can I delete .DLL files from my system folders?
- No! Do not delete any .DLL files from the system folders for any reason! You should only install, restore or replace .DLL files but never delete them unless you are an IT professional and know what you are doing. Deleting .DLL files from your windows system can cause severe issues and can even lead to a system failure.
5. Why should I search my PC for .DLL files?
- You may already have the .dll file even though you are getting .dll errors. That’s because the .dll file may have been moved or renamed by another application. Check to see if you already have the file on your computer by Searching your PC for .dll files.
6. I found filename.DL_ on my PC. What is this?
- This is a compressed backup of the .dll file. Use software such as 7zip to extract the file and continue with the installation.
7. How do I know what .DLL files my application requires?
- Keeping your applications up to date with the latest version will ensure you have the latest .dll files. If you have not yet done so, please read our ‘How to fix missing .dll errors‘ article. This will explain how to fix your .DLL errors without having to download and install .dll files.
8. What are the system requirements for the DLL-files Client?
- The DLL-files.com Client works on all current Microsoft Windows versions including Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, Windows 10. Internet Explorer must be installed (IE 10 or above).
9. What if the DLL-files Fixer doesn’t solve my DLL file problem?
- If the DLL-files Fixer doesn’t immediately solve your DLL error, please contact support(Our Support or Contact Us Link) so we can help you solve your problem.
10. Why does it say that I don’t have an internet connection when I try to activate DLL-files Fixer?
- This is usually caused by a firewall and/or antivirus software. You can add the DLL-files Fixer to the ignore list which is a common feature of most such software. You can disable your antivirus program for a few minutes while registering the DLL-files Fixer.